Filter Search for grants
Call key data
European Film Distribution
Creative Europe - Media Strand
Estimated EU contribution per project
max. € 1,000,000.00
Link to the call
Link to the submission
The European Film Distribution support shall encourage and support the wider transnational distribution of recent European films by providing funds to European distributors, based upon their performance on the market, for further reinvestment in the acquisition, promotion and distribution (including online) of recent non-national European films.
Within the specific objective of promoting competitiveness, scalability, cooperation, innovation and sustainability, including through mobility, in the innovation, competitiveness and scalability of the European audiovisual sector, one of the priorities of the MEDIA strand is:
- to enhance the circulation, promotion, online and theatrical distribution of European audiovisual works, within the Union and internationally in the new digital environment; including through innovative business model.
The MEDIA strand shall provide support for the following measures:
- Support to international sales and circulation of non-national European works on all platforms (e.g. cinema theatres, online) targeting both small and large-sized productions, including through coordinated distribution strategies covering several countries and encouraging the use of subtitling, dubbing and where applicable, audio description tools.
Expected effects and impacts
- Improvement in the trans-national distribution of recent non-national European films.
- Increase in the investment in the production, acquisition, promotion, theatrical and online distribution of non-national European films.
- Develop links between the production and distribution sector thus improving the competitive position of non-national European films.
There are two phases for the funded activities:
- The generation of a potential fund which will be attributed according to the performance of the company on the European market.
- The implementation of the action - the potential fund thus generated by each company must be reinvested in:
- the co-production of eligible non-national European films;
- the acquisition of distribution rights, for example by means of minimum guarantees, of eligible non-national European films;
- promotion, marketing and advertising on the market of eligible non-national European films both for theatrical and online releases;
- activities for eligible non-national European films.
Regions / countries for funding
Albania (Shqipëria), Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosna i Hercegovina / Босна и Херцеговина), Georgia (საქართველო), Island (Ísland), Liechtenstein, Montenegro (Црна Гора), North Macedonia (Северна Македонија), Norway (Norge), Serbia (Srbija/Сpбија), Ukraine (Україна)
Education and training institution, International organization, Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) / Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), Other, Private institution, incl. private company (private for profit), Public Body (national, regional and local; incl. EGTCs), Research Institution incl. University, Small and medium-sized enterprise (SME)
Only applications by single applicants are allowed (single beneficiaries).
other eligibility criteria
In order to be eligible, the entities must be:
- be legal entities (public or private bodies)
- be established in one of the eligible countries (i.e.:Creative Europe Participating Countries, EU Member States (including overseas countries and territories) or non-EU countries (listed EEA countries and countries associated to the Creative Europe Programme or countries which are in ongoing negotiations for an association agreement and where the agreement enters into force before grant signature - list of participating countries)
- be established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA strand of the Creative Europe Programme and owned directly or indirectly, wholly or by majority participation, by nationals from such countries. When a company is publicly listed, the location of the stock exchange will in principle determine its nationality
- be European companies active in the audiovisual sector as cinema / theatrical distributor involved in commercial activity designed to bring to the attention of a wide audience a film for the purpose of exploitation in cinema theatres. This shall be the principal activity of the company or division of the company.
The cinema / theatrical distributor shall fulfil the following criteria:
- be the holder of the theatrical distribution rights for the film in the country concerned;
- carry out the theatrical distribution of the film in the country concerned (determine the release date, plan, control and execute the distribution and promotion campaign);
- pay directly the associated distribution costs; and
- be registered and have theatrical distribution operations in the country concerned.
In the event that distribution activities are shared between several companies, the contracts/agreements between these companies must be provided. The company that will be considered as compliant is the one which meets all the criteria and actually executes the distribution of the film in the country in line with the above conditions. If tasks and/or responsibilities are so shared between different companies that it is impossible to assess a unique distributor for the film in a territory, the admissions of that film will not be eligible.
Distributors acting in different countries linked for distribution purposes (e.g. Belgium and Luxembourg; Greece and Cyprus) should only send one proposal and declare admissions and reinvestment in these different countries.
Natural persons are NOT eligible (with the exception of self-employed persons, i.e. sole traders, where the company does not have legal personality separate from that of the natural person.
International organisations — International organisations are eligible. The rules on eligible countries do not apply to them.
Entities which do not have legal personality under their national law may exceptionally participate, provided that their representatives have the capacity to undertake legal obligations on their behalf, and offerguarantees for the protection of the EU financial interests equivalent to that offered by legal persons.
EU bodies — EU bodies (with the exception of the European Commission Joint Research Centre) can NOT be part of the consortium.
Associations and interest groupings — Entities composed of members may participate as ‘sole beneficiaries’ or ‘beneficiaries without legal personality’. Please note that if the action will be implemented by the members, they should also participate (either as beneficiaries or as affiliated entities, otherwise their costs will NOT be eligible).
Relevance for EU Macro-Region
EUSAIR - EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region, EUSALP - EU Strategy for the Alpine Space, EUSBSR - EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, EUSDR - EU Strategy for the Danube Region
UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDGs)
Proposal page limits and layout:
- Part A contains administrative information about the participants (future coordinator, beneficiaries and affiliated entities) and the summarised budget for the project (to be filled in directly online)
- Part B contains the technical description of the project (tobe downloaded from the Portal Submission System, completed and then assembled and re-uploaded)
- Part C to be filled in directly online (containg additional project data)
mandatory annexes and supporting documents:
- PDF with information about film(s)/work(s) to be generated from the Creative Europe MEDIA Database
- information on independence and ownership control (mandatory template available in the Submission System).
- Certified admissions (certification of admissions by the designated national authority) (template available in the Submission System)
Page limit - part B: 70 pages