Filter Search for grants
Call key data
Circulation of European literary works
Creative Europe - Culture Strand
date - 2nd stage
Estimated EU contribution per project
Project budget (maximum grant amount): € 100,000.00 to € 300,000.00
Link to the call
Link to the submission
This action will support projects that will translate, publish, distribute and promote works of fiction.
- strengthening the transnational circulation and diversity of European literary works;
- encouraging the translation and promotion of works in lesser-used languages to increase their circulation to larger markets in Europe and beyond;
- reaching new audiences for European literary works in Europe and beyond;
- strengthening the competitiveness of the book sector by encouraging cooperation within the book value chain.
- The principle of fair remuneration of writers and translators should be respected in line with the "Translators on the cover" report by the EU Member States’ experts group on multilingualism and translation mandated by the Council under the Open Method of Coordination.
- Considering the exceptional circumstances in Europe, projects with the objective of providing European or Ukrainian books in Ukrainian language to Ukrainian refugees and displaced people will be encouraged. In this regard, the printing, distribution and promotion of European or Ukrainian works of fiction in Ukrainian will be eligible. NB: Projects should still satisfy the general eligibility conditions and include at least 5 translations.
Expected effects and impacts
The action will support around 40 projects, implemented either by a single entity (mono-beneficiary) or by a grouping of organisations (multi-beneficiary).
Each project must be based on a sound editorial and promotional strategy covering a package of at least 5 eligible works of fiction translated from and into eligible languages, and must include the following elements:
- the proposed package contributes to the diversity of literature in the target country (or countries) by including works of fiction from countries that are underrepresented, and in particular works written in lesser-used languages,
- the distribution strategy ensures wide and easy access to the works for the general public,
- the promotion strategy contributes to an enlargement and renewal of the audience,
- the project encourages collaboration between authors, translators, publishers, distributors, booksellers, libraries, festivals, literary events, etc.,
- the project contributes to raising the profile of translators and respects the principle of fair remuneration,
- the project addresses the Creative Europe programme cross-cutting issues and the Culture Strand 2023 priorities.
Regions / countries for funding
Albania (Shqipëria), Armenia (Հայաստան), Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosna i Hercegovina / Босна и Херцеговина), Georgia (საქართველო), Island (Ísland), Israel (ישראל / إِسْرَائِيل), Kosovo (Kosova/Kosovë / Косово), Liechtenstein, Montenegro (Црна Гора), North Macedonia (Северна Македонија), Norway (Norge), Serbia (Srbija/Сpбија), Tunisia (تونس /Tūnis), Türkiye, Ukraine (Україна)
Education and training institution, International organization, Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) / Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), Other, Private institution, incl. private company (private for profit), Public Body (national, regional and local; incl. EGTCs), Research Institution incl. University, Small and medium-sized enterprise (SME)
Both applications by single applicants and proposals submitted by a consortium are allowed.
A consortium must be of at least 2 applicants (beneficiaries; not affiliated entities).
The coordinator must have had a legal existence for at least 2 years on the date of the deadline for submission.
The coordinator must be active in the publishing and book sector.
other eligibility criteria
In order to be eligible, the entities must be:
- be legal entities (public or private bodies)
- be established in one of the eligible countries (i.e.:Creative Europe Participating Countries, EU Member States (including overseas countries and territories) or non-EU countries (listed EEA countries and countries associated to the Creative EuropeProgramme or countries which are in ongoing negotiations for an association agreement and where the agreement enters into force before grant signature - list of participating countries)
Natural persons are NOT eligible (with the exception of self-employed persons, i.e. sole traders, where the company does not have legal personality separate from that of the natural person.
International organisations are eligible. The rules on eligible countries do not apply to them.
Entities which do not have legal personality under their national law may exceptionally participate, provided that their representatives have the capacity to undertake legal obligations on their behalf, and offerguarantees for the protection of the EU financial interests equivalent to that offered by legal persons.
EU bodies (with the exception of the European Commission Joint Research Centre) can NOT be part of the consortium.
Associations and interest groupings — Entities composed of members may participate as ‘sole beneficiaries’ or ‘beneficiaries without legal personality’.
Relevance for EU Macro-Region
EUSAIR - EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region, EUSALP - EU Strategy for the Alpine Space, EUSBSR - EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, EUSDR - EU Strategy for the Danube Region
UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDGs)
Proposal page limits and layout:
- Part A to be filled in directly online (administrative information, summarised budget, call-specific questions, etc.)
- Part B to be downloaded from the Portal submission system, completed and re-uploaded as a PDF in the system
- Part C to be filled in directly online (containing additional project data)
mandatory annexes and supporting documents (to be uploaded):
- detailed budget table
- CVs of the core project team
- list of previous projects (key projects for the last 4 years)
- List of publications
- Declaration on publications
- CVs or biographies of translators
Page limit - part B: 70 pages