Filter Search for grants
Call key data
European Film sales agent
Creative Europe - Media Strand
Link to the call
Link to the submission
Within the specific objective of promoting competitiveness, scalability, cooperation, innovation and sustainability, including through mobility, in the innovation, competitiveness and scalability of the European audiovisual sector, one of the priorities of the MEDIA strand is to enhance the circulation, promotion, online and theatrical distribution of European audiovisual works, within the Union and internationally in the new digital environment; including through innovative business model.
The MEDIA strand shall provide support for the following measures:
- Support to international sales and circulation of non-national European works on all platforms (e.g. cinema theatres, online) targeting both small and large-sized productions, including through coordinated distribution strategies covering several countries and encouraging the use of subtitling, dubbing and where applicable, audio description tools.
- The European Film Sales support shall encourage and support the wider transnational distribution of recent European films by providing funds to European sales agents, based upon their performance on the market, for further reinvestment in the acquisition, promotion and distribution (including online) of recent non-national European films.
Expected effects and impacts
- Improvement in the trans-national distribution of recent non-national European films
- Increase in the investment in the production, acquisition, promotion, theatrical and online distribution of non-national European films
- Develop links between the production and distribution sector thus improving the competitive position of non-national European films
There are two phases for the funded activities:
- The generation of a potential fund which will be attributed according to the performance of the company on the European market.
- The implementation of the action - the potential fund thus generated by each company must be reinvested in:
- minimum guarantees or advances paid for the international sales rights on eligible non-national European films
- the promotion, marketing and advertising on the market of eligible non-national European films
Regions / countries for funding
Albania (Shqipëria), Armenia (Հայաստան), Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosna i Hercegovina / Босна и Херцеговина), Georgia (საქართველო), Island (Ísland), Kosovo (Kosova/Kosovë / Косово), Liechtenstein, Montenegro (Црна Гора), North Macedonia (Северна Македонија), Norway (Norge), Serbia (Srbija/Сpбија), Tunisia (تونس /Tūnis), Türkiye, Ukraine (Україна)
Education and training institution, International organization, Natural Person, Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) / Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), Other, Private institution, incl. private company (private for profit), Public Body (national, regional and local; incl. EGTCs), Small and medium-sized enterprise (SME)
Only applications by single applicants are allowed (single beneficiaries).
In order to be eligible, the applicants (beneficiaries and affiliated entities) must:
- be legal entities (public or private bodies)
- be established in one of the eligible countries i.e.:
- Creative Europe Participating Countries:
- EU Member States (including overseas countries and territories)
- non-EU countries (listed EEA countries and countries associated to the Creative EuropeProgramme or countries which are in ongoing negotiations for an association agreement and where the agreement enters into force before grant signature - list of participating countries)
- Creative Europe Participating Countries:
- be established in one of the countries participating fully in the MEDIA strand of the Creative Europe Programme and be owned directly or indirectly, wholly or by majority participation, by nationals from such countries. When a company is publicly listed, the location of the stock exchange will in principle determine its nationality.
- be a European Sales Agent, i.e. a European company acting as an intermediary agent for the producer, who specialises in the commercial exploitation of a film by marketing and licensing a film to distributors or other purchasers for foreign countries
- be appointed as sales agent by the producer of each film declared or supported by way of a written contract or agreement to sell the film in at least 10 countries participating in the MEDIA strand.
Natural persons are NOT eligible (with the exception of self-employed persons, i.e. sole traders, where the company does not have legal personality separate from that of the natural person.
International organisations — International organisations are eligible. The rules on eligible countries do not apply to them.
EU bodies — EU bodies (with the exception of the European Commission Joint Research Centre) can NOT be part of the consortium.
other eligibility criteria
Eligibility of films
To generate the potential fund and to qualify for reinvestment measures, the film must comply with the following eligibility criteria:
- it must be a work of fiction (including animated films) or documentary, with a minimum duration of 60 minutes.
- it must have its first copyright established in 2019 at the earliest.
- it must not consist of alternative content (operas, concerts, performances, etc.), advertising, pornographic or racist material or advocate violence.
- it must be in majority produced by a producer or producers established in the countries participating in the MEDIA strand. A minimum 50% of the financing of the total estimated production budget must come from countries participating in the MEDIA strand and the production companies must be credited as such. To be considered as the actual producers the production companies must be credited as such. Elements such as opening credits, copyright appearing on the rolling credits, creative control, ownership of exploitation rights and share of profits may also be taken into account to determine who the actual producer is;
- it must be produced with the significant participation (as per the credits) of professionals who are nationals/residents of countries participating in the MEDIA strand and credited as such. ‘Significant participation’ is defined as having more than 50% of the points on the basis of the table below which includes also locations. The total can vary depending on the type of work (animation, documentary, fiction). When roles are shared, points are shared accordingly. In the event of a tie (i.e. where the points are equal for a given nationality) the nationality of the director (or the following talent in the list below) shall be decisive.
- European films will be considered as “national” in that country participating in the MEDIA strand whose nationals /residents have participated in the highest proportion in the making of the film. This country is considered as the country of origin of the film for the purpose of the action. They will be considered as “non-national” outside the country of origin
The potential fund is proportional to the number of paying admission tickets sold for non-national European films in countries participating in the MEDIA Strand, up to a fixed eligible ceiling per film and adjusted for each country. To be eligible, admissions must comply with the following criteria:
- they must be achieved between 1st January 2022 to 31st December 2022;
- a normal ticket price was actually paid to the relevant exhibitor (including any special offers or discounts) but explicitly excluding those admissions where no fee was paid;
- they must be clearly identifiable and certified by the national authority designated by the Member States;
- they must be declared by distributors who are eligible in the country;
- the films must be eligible non-national European films in the country of distribution;
- the film must have its first copyright established in 2019 at the earliest.
Only admissions certified by National Authorities shall be taken into account for the calculation of the fund.
There are two phases, each with sub-steps for the eligible activities (consult pages 12-14 of the call document for details):
- Generation of a potential fund
- Eligible reinvestment activities
Relevance for EU Macro-Region
EUSAIR - EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region, EUSALP - EU Strategy for the Alpine Space, EUSBSR - EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, EUSDR - EU Strategy for the Danube Region
UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDGs)
max. 24 months
Proposal page limits and layout:
- Part A to be filled in directly online (administrative information, summarised budget, call-specific questions, etc.)
- Part B to be downloaded from the Portal submission system, completed and re-uploaded as a PDF in the system
- Part C to be filled in directly online (containg additional project data)
mandatory annexes and supporting documents:
- PDF with information about film(s)/work(s) generated from the Creative Europe MEDIA Database
- Information on independence and ownership and control (template available in the Submission System)
- List of films (template available in the Submission System)
- Step 1 – Films acquired and distributed in 2022
- Other annexes (Official Box evidence to be provided in case the film is not available in the Creative Europe Media Database)
Page limit - part B: 70 pages