Filter Search for grants
Call key data
ITS – studies, works or mixed
Connecting Europe Facility for Transport
Link to the call
Link to the submission
The general objective is to modernise transport infrastructure on the Core and Comprehensive Networks of the TEN-T.
In accordance with the Article 9(2)(b)(ii) of the CEF Regulation, studies and / or works, related to the following projects will be supported: Intelligent Transport Systems for road (ITS):
- projects related to the deployment and/or upgrade of ITS infrastructure and services in compliance with the priority areas of Directive 2010/40/EU 8 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 July 2010 on the framework for the deployment of Intelligent Transport Systems in the field of road transport and for interfaces with other modes of transport (OJ L 2017, 6.8.2010, p. 1). This also includes the upgrade of eCall Public safety answering points for receiving and handling eCall, and the upgrade of National Access Points taking into account the recommendations of the CEF projects NAPCORE and Data4PT.
- projects related to deployment of cooperative ITS (C-ITS). Projects must deploy C-ITS stations to provide C-ITS services based on the hybrid communication approach defined in the European C-ITS Strategy (COM (2016) 766 "A European strategy on Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems, a milestone towards cooperative, connected and automated mobility"). In addition:
- C-ITS deployments should ensure compatibility with the specifications developed by the C-ROADS platform and interoperability with existing C-ITS stations deployed in accordance to those specifications;
- C-ITS deployments should be in line with Security Certificate Policy for deployment and Operation of European (C-ITS);
- The project should demonstrate cooperation with the C-Roads Platform.
Priority may be given to proposals that involve implementation in several EU countries.
Where relevant, ITS projects should seek synergies with 5G corridors deployment.
Where relevant, projects should take into account the innovative new technologies and solutions in the fields of smart applications for transport resulting from Horizon Europe activities as well as the re-use of the European Digital Building Blocks.
Intelligent Transport Systems supported under CEF must be accessible for use by all operators on a non-discriminatory basis.
This topic focuses on the deployment or upgrade of ITS infrastructure and services and it may include data collection and dissemination that are necessary for these objectives. Projects with the main/sole purpose of collection and dissemination/availability of information/data for mobility must be submitted under the topic CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-DATA-WORKS.
ITS projects can be located on the Core Network and/or on the Comprehensive Network. In case the application covers certain road sections outside the TEN-T network, applicants have to justify their need and demonstrate their positive effects for the TEN-T network.
Regions / countries for funding
Moldova (Moldova), Ukraine (Україна)
Education and training institution, International organization, Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) / Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), Other, Private institution, incl. private company (private for profit), Public Body (national, regional and local; incl. EGTCs), Research Institution incl. University, Small and medium-sized enterprise (SME)
In order to be eligible, the applicants (beneficiaries and affiliated entities) must:
- be legal entities (public or private bodies)
- be established in one of the eligible countries, i.e.
- EU Member States (including overseas countries and territories (OCTs))
- Third countries associated to the CEF Programme (list of participating countries)
- Project applications located in associated third countries are eligible for funding in the present calls under the conditions set out in Article 8(1) of the TEN-T Regulation (EU) N° 1315/2013 and Articles 5(2) and 9(2) of the CEF Regulation (EU) 2021/1153.
- Exceptional funding — Entities from other countries (not listed above) are exceptionally eligible for projects of common interest in the field of transport if the granting authority considers their participation essential for the implementation of the project.
- Natural persons are NOT eligible (with the exception of self-employed persons, i.e. sole traders, where the company does not have legalpersonality separate from that of the natural person).
- International organisations are eligible. The rules on eligible countries do not apply to them.
- Entities without legal personality under their national law may exceptionally participate, provided that their representatives have the capacity to undertake legal obligations on their behalf, and offer guaranteesfor the protection of the EU financial interests equivalent to that offered by legal persons.
- EU bodies can NOT be part of the consortium.
other eligibility criteria
Financial support to third parties is not allowed.
The available call budget is split between 12 calls for proposals:
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-ERTMS-UNITS: ERTMS – unit contribution
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-ITS-WORKS: ITS – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-RIS-WORKS: RIS – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-EMSWe-WORKS: EMSWe – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-VTMIS-WORKS: VTMIS – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-eFTI-WORKS: eFTI – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-DATA-WORKS: Data – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-NEWTECH-STUDIES: New technologies and innovation – studies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-REMIB-WORKS: Removing interoperability barriersstudies, works or mixed
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-SESAR-DSDU-WORKS: SESAR digital sky demonstrators for a greener, more scalable and resilient ATM – works
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-SESAR-CP-WORKS: SESAR Common Project One implementation projects – works
- CEF-T-2023-SIMOBGEN-SESAR-OP-WORKS: Other ATM Projects – Works or Mixed
The costs will be reimbursed at the funding rates fixed in the Grant Agreement:
- maximum 50% for the costs of studies
- maximum 50% for the costs of works
- maximum 70% for the costs of works in outermost regions (with the exception of the RIS and REMIB topics).
The foreseen duration of the works and mixed projects should be 4-5 years maximum. For studies projects it should be 2-3 years maximum. In both cases, the end date set in the Grant Agreement will not be later than 31.12.2028.
Relevance for EU Macro-Region
EUSAIR - EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region, EUSALP - EU Strategy for the Alpine Space, EUSBSR - EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, EUSDR - EU Strategy for the Danube Region
UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDGs)
between 24 and 60 months
All proposals must be submitted electronically via the Funders & Tenders Portal electronic submission system (accessible via the topic page in the Search Funding & Tenders section). Paper submissions are NOT possible.
Proposals must be complete and contain all parts and mandatory annexes and supporting documents, e.g. plan for the exploitation and dissemination of the results including communication activities, etc.
The application form will have two parts:
- Part A (to be filled in directly online) contains administrative information about the participants (future coordinator and beneficiaries and affiliated entities), and the summarised budget for the project
- Part B (to be downloaded from the Portal submission system, completed and then assembled and re-uploaded as a PDF in the system) contains the technical description of the project.
Mandatory annexes and supporting documents (templates available to be downloaded from the Portal Submission System, completed, assembled and re-uploaded):
- detailed budget table per WP/calculator
- activity reports of last year (unless exempted from operational capacity check; see section 7 of call document)
- list of previous projects (key projects for the last 4 years) (template available in Part B)
- timetable/Gantt chart
- agreement of the concerned Member State (letter of support)
- environmental compliance file (for works, for studies with physical interventions and for studies without physical interventions.
For applications concerning projects subject to an EIA, you may include a summary of the climate proofing process in the Portal Submission System under “Other Annexes".
The limit for a full application (Part B) is 120 pages.
CEF 2 Transport - Projects related to smart and interoperable mobility – General envelope Call documentCEF 2 Transport - Projects related to smart and interoperable mobility – General envelope Call document(755kB)